The Republican presidential candidate, who has taken heat for retweeting a video that shows him bragging about grabbing women by the genitals, said he had no idea he was being used for a political purpose.
“I’m not sure I was aware that I was being utilized as an ad,” Mr Trump said, adding that he was not aware that he would be a target for such an ad.
“There is no question about it, and I think they were trying to see if I would be willing to go back to the campaign trail and try to get in front of them,” Mr Conway said on ABC’s This Week.
“You know, I’ve never been one to shy away from a challenge, and if they felt like I would make a challenge to them, they’d be willing, but I don’t think they did.”
The video was taken in the days leading up to Mr Trump’s presidential campaign launch on Monday, and was posted to a social media platform called Voat, which is also used by Wikileaks and other internet activists.
The video shows Mr Trump describing how he had used the phrase “grab them by the p—y” to describe grabbing women “by the p—–y”.
It is not clear if the video was filmed in Mr Trump or on the campaign plane.
In a separate statement, the Republican National Committee said Mr Trump and his campaign had been “incredibly transparent about our relationship with the Russian government”.
“The Trump campaign and its officials have repeatedly denied any improper or illegal coordination with the Russians,” RNC spokesman Sean Spicer said.
“However, we do not know the identity of the individual or entity behind this video, and we are looking into the allegations as we go forward.”
Mr Spicer said Mr Conway had been given a briefing on the matter by RNC officials and the Trump campaign.
“She will continue to make the case that Trump is running a transparent campaign, and she is committed to ensuring that the Trump team is as transparent as possible,” he said.
Mr Trump, who is running for re-election in November, did not respond to a request for comment from ABC News.
In an interview with the US network Meet the Press, Mr Trump called the video “absolutely disgraceful” and said he would donate $1m to the Democratic Party.
He also said that he had a “very good relationship” with Mr Trump.
“We’re going to get along,” Mr Pence said on Meet the Pres. “Donald Trump, Donald Trump, he loves you and he respects you.”
Mr Pence, who will travel to the United States later this week to meet Mr Trump as part of a tour promoting the Republican Party, also said Mr Pence would “support” the Republican nominee.
It’s just that, I think we have to let him have the benefit of the doubt,” Mr Mike Pence said.